St. Paul's Church
Malaysia, Malacca, St. Paul's Hill, April 2011
St. Paul's Church is a historic church building in Malacca, built by the Portuguese in 1521. It is located at the summit of St. Paul's Hill and is today part of the Malacca Museum Complex.
The original structure was a simple chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary and further enlarged in 1556 with the addition of a second storey with a belfry tower added on in 1590. With the conquest of Malacca by the Dutch in 1641, the church was reconsecrated for Dutch Reformed use as the Bovenkerk or High Church. When the British occupied Malacca in 1824, the church was then used as a powder magazine and was further allowed to deteriorate.