Photo Uploaded: Feb 05 2014 16:55:09 GMT Taken: 2013:09:21 15:32:48 Manufacturer: SONY Camera: DSC-H2 Aperture: F4 Shutter: 10/3200 sec ISO: 80 Flash: No (Turned off)
The baroque garden of Rundale Palace.
The grounds of Rundale Palace ensemble amount to
72 hectares including the French baroque garden which
covers 10 hectares and fully retains its original layout
designed by Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli in 1735/1736.
It is the most important historical garden in the Baltics.
The garden was created at the same time as the palace
was constructed between 1736 and 1740. According
to the gardener Christopher Weyland’s report, in 1739,
32818 lime trees, 500 chestnut trees and 188 oak trees
were planted in the garden. Weyland also reported
the planting of 2338 lime and chestnut trees in the forest
park as well as 95 pear trees, 155 apple trees, 40 plum
trees and 20 cherry trees in the orchards.
After the Duke’s return from exile, work in the garden
continued. Records of the celebration in 1767 provide
a description of the large area with three pools. In 1768
a pond was created in order to supply water to the
canals. Circa 1777, during the reign of Duke Peter of
Courland, two orchards and a hop garden were added.