Photo Uploaded: Feb 05 2014 12:13:23 GMT Taken: 2013:09:21 15:06:49 Manufacturer: SONY Camera: DSC-H2 Aperture: F4 Shutter: 10/1600 sec ISO: 80 Flash: No (Turned off)
The renovation plan for the park was prepared by the Institute “Giproteatr” in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) between 1975 and 1977. The dendrology plan was developed by experts of the National Botanic Garden.
At the time when the restoration works began, the Baroque garden had become overgrown, the trees were disfigured, and in place of the ornamental parterre there was a school’s sports ground. In order to restore the French formal garden to its original appearance, all the trees were cut down. This job was carried out between 1975 and 1978. The tree planting began in 1984. The renovation of the park was interrupted several times. The pace of works quickened after 1998 when the gardener’s house was restored and also after 2002 when the restoration of the southern facade of the Palace was finished.
The finished works include the reconstruction of the ornamental parterre (2004 – 2006), the Green Theatre (2004) and the fountain (2007). In 2007 the Museum’s staff began planting trees in the bosquet areas encircled by clipped hedges. Within the last few years the Museum has also completed footpaths in the bosquets, the Chinese pavilion and two pergolas, and has started the construction of two pavilions in the Green Theatre.