Icosahedral Sundial, Marsden Park, Nelson, Lancashire
Icosahedral, or twenty-sided sundial that tells the time in various places all around the world that were influential when it was designed in the 1840s. The many gnomons tell the time in places such as Washington, Moscow, Rome, Jerusalem, Calcutta, St Helena and the Cape of Good Hope.
The sundial was designed by Thornber and Kippax, and according to an inscription on one of the faces was first installed on June 15th 1841. Originally positioned to the south-east of the Roman Baths it was moved to its present location in the 1930s.
It was commissioned by R.T. Walton who was a 19th century descendant of the de Walton family. Edward III gave the land here to Richard de Walton in the 14th century and the family remained here until 1911, when they ran out of male heirs and the property was purchased by the local authority.