Photo Uploaded: Feb 09 2007 18:27:23 GMT Taken: 2007:02:07 15:44:00 Manufacturer: Canon Camera: EOS 350D DIGITAL Aperture: F5.6 Shutter: 1/4 sec ISO: 400 Flash: No (Turned off)
BASILICA OF SANTA MARIA MAGGIORE
The Sistine Chapel - The Tabernacle by Ricci (1590)
The grandiose Sistine Chapel in the left wing of the transept was designed by the architect Domenico Fontana in the 2nd half of the 16th century for the Pope Sixtus V, who had expressed a desire to be buried here. The chapel was dedicated in the name of the Pope, who completely changed the urbanistic aspect of Rome. ince the return od the Popes from the Avignonese exile 2 centuries earlier, the city had been enriched and embellished considerably by beautiful churches and grandiose buildings, but it had retained its web of Medieval streets. Thanks to the work of Domenico Fontana, Sixtus V changed the aspect of the city and earned himself a place in the history. The architect therefore dedicated this Greek-cross shaped chapel, surmounted by a frescoed dome, with a High Altar and a late 16th century ciborium in the shape of a small temple. Both the monument in memory of Sixtus V and that of St Pius V, the Pope under whom the Lepanto war (1571) was fought were built by Domenico Fontana.