Photo Uploaded: May 27 2009 19:25:10 GMT Taken: 2009:05:23 13:02:56 Manufacturer: Canon Camera: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi Aperture: F5.6 Shutter: 1/200 sec ISO: 200 Flash: No (Turned off)
A visit to historic Lower Fort Garry (The Stone fort) in Manitoba, Canada.
The "Red River Cart" was used for transport of goods overland. The cart was usually pulled by a pair of oxen.
Lower Fort Garry has the finest stone fur trade buildings in all of western Canada. The Hudson's Bay Company started construction in 1831 and used the fort to supply its vast network of fur trade posts. Located below the rapids on the Red River, Lower Fort Garry was the perfect place to load supplies and furs bound for distant outposts like York Factory and, eventually, for Europe. In 1871, the Crown, the Ojibwa and the Swampy Cree First Nations made the first of the numbered treaties in western Canada here at "The Stone Fort". Lower Fort Garry was also one of the first training grounds for the North-West Mounted Police (later the RCMP).