Photo Uploaded: Oct 19 2012 06:16:57 GMT Taken: 2012:10:09 11:41:30 Manufacturer: SONY Camera: DSC-H5 Aperture: F5.6 Shutter: 10/10000 sec ISO: 125 Flash: No (Turned off)
Kos - Greece - Fortress - (in red) pomegranate (granate apple) - punica granatum
http://romeartlover.tripod.com/Kos1.html The town of Kos, was founded in the 4th century BC: it soon became one of the richest centres of the region: at the beginning it was ruled by the satraps (Persian governors) of nearby Halicarnassus; after Alexander the Great defeated the Persians, Kos fell within the sphere of influence of the Ptolemies, the Greek dynasty which ruled Egypt and later on of the Romans. In the 2nd century AD it was part of the Asia Minor province and it enjoyed great prosperity.
After the fall of the Byzantine Empire in 1204, Venetians and Genoese competed for supremacy on the very impoverished island: the Genoese managed for a while to add Kos to the other large islands (Metelino, Scio) near the Asian coast they already controlled, but in 1315 Vignolo de' Vignoli, the Genoese lord of the island, called in the Knights of St John.
The fortress of Kos has a long rectangular shape and it protects a small harbour of shallow water: its appearance is not as spectacular as that of other fortresses built by the Knights. The only fortification of some relevance is a round bastion built by Grand Master Fabrizio del Carretto (1513-21); its shape is very similar to the larger bastion that this Grand Master built in Rhodes. In the construction of the fortress the Knights made use of materials taken from the ruins of the ancient town and of the Asclepeion, a shrine on a nearby hill.