Photo Uploaded: Dec 02 2009 19:19:28 GMT Taken: 2006:07:06 10:53:52 Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company Camera: HP PhotoSmart 715 Aperture: F2.06 Shutter: 272/1000 sec ISO: 100 Flash: No
Things to do - places to see in Niagara
The Lakeside Park Carousel in Port Dalhousie is a Charles Looff original, carved between 1898 and 1905 in Brooklyn, New York. The carousel came to St. Catharines in 1921, from its earlier home in Hanlan´s Point, Scarborough Beach in Toronto. It was purchased to be a part of the amusement park flourishing in Port Dalhousie, and was one of 58 attractions in the park. In those days, more than a quarter million people crossed Lake Ontario in steamships to visit Port Dalhousie on weekends. The Lakeside Park Carousel has 68 animals, in 4 rows.
From 1950 to 1970 the carousel was privately owned by Mr. Sid Brookson. In 1970 Mr. Brookson put the carousel up for sale asking $25,000.Rather than let the carousel leave Port Dalhousie, Mrs. Dorothy Crabtree a local antique dealer led a campaign to raise enough money to purchase the carousel. By the deadline Mrs. Crabtree had only $20,000. Mr. Brookson, the carousel lover that he was, lowered the price and Mrs. Dorothy Crabtree had a carousel.
Turning over the ownership to the City Council on July 17, 1970. Mrs. Crabtree suggested that the price of the ride remain at 5 cents and the City of St. Catharines agreed to take over operation and maintenance.