** Thub Kwan Residence **
Thub Kwan is a traditional housing complex, designed and constructed by Phraya Wisukam Prasit (Noi Silapi). It comprises eight houses situated in four directions: four main buildings and four corner buildings. The two big houses opposite each other were bed chambers (the kingís was on the south side). Another was a reception hall. Opposite the reception hall was a kitchen. The four small corner halls are located in each corner. Two of them were bird halls. Another was a servantís quarters. The other was for storage. All houses were linked by a central patio, with a big shading chand tree in the middle.
Thub Kwan was elaborately constructed. The houses and the patio were built with golden teak using the traditional timber joint-and-notch method of house building. The eaves and the roof supports are carved woodwork. The roofing was once a Nipa palm leaves bordered with terra cotta tiles. Around the house are traditional plants usually planted in a well-to-do household.
H.M. King Rama VI had this house built in order to preserve the art of traditional Thai housing style. The celebration ceremony for the house was held on January 25, 1901. It once served as headquarters of the Wild Tigersí Royal Guards.