At the stables of Klosters Einsiedeln.
The abbey's baroque stables are home to the oldest still existing stud of Europe. The first hand-written reference to the stud can be found in King Henry IV's concession of rights of 24 February 1064.
The abbey's breeding and trade in horses can be traced back over many centuries. The abbey horses, the "Cavalli della Madonna", belong to the group of warmbloods. They are appreciated for their elegance, their good character and their robust health. The Einsiedler horse is still well-known to this day. It originates from an old, preserved line of blood - a cultural heritage of international standing. Our brood mares in the abbey's stables go back to two continuous lines of blood from the old Einsiedler breed. They are mares of the Quarta family, which is the oldest, and of the Klima family.
The baroque stables were built in the years 1764-1767 according to plans by Einsiedeln friar Kaspar Braun. The northern part is the oldest stable which we intend to preserve for the future as it is. The rest of the building which houses the horses has in the meantime been completely renovated and adapted to conform with modern day animal husbandry. In addition to that, the entire roof and fa?ßade have been refurbished as well. A large part of the work has been financed with substantial help from the Association of Friends of Einsiedeln Abbey. The ‚Äúnew‚Äù baroque stables are going to be the jewel of the entire abbey.