Imperial Palace, Cultural Center
built in 1905-10 in neo Romanesque style, for Kaiser Wilhelm II, the German Emperor. It was the last royal residence of such size built in Europe. It has lost much of its former glory. Extensively damaged during World War II, its tower was lowered by some 200 feet when the Palace was rebuilt.
Today the Palace serves as a Cultural Center with the Palace Cinema housed in the former throne room where the Kaiser who visited the Palace just twice, received guests. A marionette theater and offices of various institutions are also located here. In the courtyard is the Lion Fountain - a replica of the famous sculpture from the Alhambra.