243,216 members
3,455,240 photos

JPHarr's Fotothing

and share
your photos
our fantastic photo library
Friends.Make Friends
Join our community and have some fun
Photos 1611 - 1615 of 4669

360 views 1 person's favourite photo

At night the Niagara Falls are illuminated by lights; sometimes bright white, sometimes different colors, always changing.

Interestingly (to me), the water's rate of flow is strictly controlled. At night there is less water allowed over the falls; during the day, they allow more water for more spectacular viewing. The rest of the river's flow is directed into the power generating station downriver, bypassing these falls. The slower rate of flow also helps slow the rate of erosion, preserving the scene for generations.

About 10% of the Niagara Falls flows over the American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls on the U.S. side. The other 90% flows over the Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side.
More latest photos

Comments on this photo:

Aug 27 2007 15:36 GMT chaenomele
Cette photo est magnifique, joli mouvement et joli jeu de lumières! :-)
Aug 27 2007 15:42 GMT JPHarr
Thank you, Chaenomele. Fotographs cannot capture the entire experience. There is the sound, and the water vapor in the air, and the immensity of the place. It is very powerful. But you're right: the lights and movement are beautiful together.
Aug 27 2007 18:14 GMT GeoffReeves
smashing scene!
Aug 27 2007 18:19 GMT JPHarr
Wanna see more? ;-)
Aug 27 2007 18:31 GMT gtc126
Beautiful Shot....Great Angle!!!!
Aug 27 2007 18:33 GMT hbla PRO
interesting, the things we CAN control lol. excellent photo :)
Aug 27 2007 20:41 GMT jenylew
This one is my fav...so far...:-)
Very cool info, too - I have learned something today! Yay!
Aug 27 2007 21:15 GMT JPHarr
Make it a point to learn somethin' new every day!
Aug 28 2007 06:17 GMT GeoffReeves
oh yes!
Aug 28 2007 16:09 GMT marbon
splendid shot
Aug 28 2007 17:59 GMT JPHarr
Thanks for visiting, Lasmini. =)