It looks out upon the waters of Lake Superior, the largest fresh water lake in the world, known by the Chippewas as Kitchi Gummi. From this point the lake extends easterly 400 miles and westerly 30 miles. Raddison and Grosseillers canoed this lake 266 years ago. A little later Marquette was at the Apostle Islands, thirty four miles east of this cliff.
In 1679 Daniel DeGreysolon, Sieur Duluth passed here. Many traders, missionaries and explorers have passed here since. The Cree Indians lived here. There were succeeded by the Chippewas, who often crossed the lake in canoes. Now, each year, thousands of cargo laden ships intersect the course of those Indian canoes. Two Harbors, called Wasswewining by the Chippewas, lies four miles southwest of this highway and lake. To the northeast the highway leads to the Pigeon River, the International Boundary, 119 miles distant. Lake County extends 100 miles to the north through a labyrinth of lakes.