First Light (reflections) on the Barneget, N. J. Original Lighthouse tower
The current lighthouse was commissioned Jan. 1,1859. The tower light was 165 feet above sea level. It remained a first class navigational light until August 1927 when the "Barneget Lightship" was anchored 8 miles off the coast;
The tower light was reduced over 80% but it was not extinguished until January 1944
The light ship was removed in 1965 made obsolete by electronic navigation.
Although its light is no longer functional, the tower is flood lit at night
The original light is housed in Barnget Historical Museum. A special foundation needed to be installed due to the weight of the light This is just a small area of the light.